[time-nuts] GPS PRN vs SV...??

michael taylor mctylr at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 22:12:29 UTC 2008

On Feb 9, 2008 4:58 PM, Bruce Griffiths <bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz> wrote:

> This indicates that the receiver can see SVN 23 (PRN 32) with no difficulty.
> However for a supposedly 8 channel receiver it sees 11 SVs??

I suspect that as long as less than 8 SV are being tracked (6 in your
sample), it only needs one channel to "not" track the other 5 SV. The
not tracked SV are not necessary being updated in a timely fashion so
a one or more unused channels could be used to cycle through all SVs /
PRNs from the almanac to look for new SV visibility and see if any of
the not tracked SV have become suitable to track.

-Michael Taylor