[time-nuts] GPS Locked and Unlocked Performance Comparison

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Wed Feb 13 02:54:53 UTC 2008

Hello Tom,

yikes, that does sound like a project indeed.

Long Term holdover design in a GPSDO is a real challenge, and  even the older
specs (CDMA etc) are quite hard to achieve. This is where a  Rubidium/Cs
really has a huge advantage over any Crystal design.

Another problem is the very large spread unit-to-unit for long term
holdover. I have seen the same OCXO model come from the same assembly  batch, and have
a spread of 3x or more on the 24 hour holdover performance,  especially when
aged less than 1 - 2 months.

Of course we are lucky today that a good GPS signal is available  most of the
time, and a 24 hour hold-over capability is not a critical  issue for most
hobbyists.

bye,
Said

In a message dated 2/12/2008 16:56:11 Pacific Standard Time,