[time-nuts] Trimble Thunderbolt Rs-232 Levels

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Wed Feb 13 06:18:17 UTC 2008

Darrell Robinson wrote:
> ( Let's try this again. My reply to this message came out as an attachment. )
>
> Thanks for the quick reply.  It does have the 9 pin connector (DB-9?).
>
> The main source of my uncertainty comes from the "ThunderBolt GPS Disciplined Clock Manual ver. 3.0" on page 3-18.  In table 3-3 where it shows the pinouts, the protocol mentions TTL.
>
> Here is what my module looks like -
>

> I think I will apply power to the module and measure the levels from the port.  If it is TTL out, I will need to do a level shift anyway to give the computer proper voltages to run it's serial port.
>
> Darrell

Darrell

That version has RS232 levels, easily checked my checking the unloaded
output levels on the DE9 (D denotes connector type, E denotes shell
size, 9 is the number of pins/sockets, DB9 as commonly used is strictly
incorrect) connector.

You will likely find a TTL/CMOS - RS232 transceiver chip very near the
DE9 connector on the circuit board.

Bruce