[time-nuts] GPS Locked and Unlocked Performance Comparison

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Wed Feb 13 19:14:19 UTC 2008

Said,

All of these were run out-of-the-box. So yes, auto-survey.

A fun experiment would be to set the position manually at different
levels of [in]accuracy (say, +/- 1m, 3m, 10m, 30m, 100m) in
lat, lon, and/or alt to graphically see the effect it makes on both
1PPS time offset and 10 MHz frequency stability.

/tvb
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: SAIDJACK at aol.com
  To: time-nuts at febo.com ; tvb at leapsecond.com
  Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2008 10:50 AM
  Subject: Re: [time-nuts] GPS Locked and Unlocked Performance Comparison

  Hello Tom,

  on the measurements did you use Auto Survey on these receivers? Or did you give them a surveyed antenna position?

  Even good GPS's I have seen have a 3-5 feet height error or so from Auto Survey.

  I wonder how much better these units would perform if they get a well surveyed position set manually?

  Maybe their performance is so good already that it wouldn't make a difference in ADEV.

  bye,
  Said