[time-nuts] gps timing antennas

Brian Kirby kirbybq at bellsouth.net
Thu Feb 14 02:44:22 UTC 2008

The Motorola Timing 2000 and 3000 antennas are patch antennas.  They
have a pointed radome.  The have very little ground plane, which reduces
reception near the ground, which is desirable because of multipath
effects.    They also have quite a bit of filtering, so transmitting
antennas near the units, will not affect them.

If you are not having a problem with multipath, a regular patch type
antenna probally from anybody should work well.

If you are having multipath problems a timing antenna should help or a
choke ring assembly should help.  I have built choke rings out of pie
plates, and Dr. Tom Clark made a basic choke assembly using a common
electric junction box.

I had problems with multipath because of mountains about 3/5 around my
location.  I changed the look angles so my receivers only receive above
20 degrees above the horizon and I use timing antennas now.

Brian KD4FM