[time-nuts] gps timing antennas

Brian Kirby kirbybq at bellsouth.net
Thu Feb 14 05:23:16 UTC 2008

I put pictures out on the net years ago.  I put two rulers in the
pictures to show folks the dimensions.  Back then we used the stock
Motorola Antenna97, a patch antenna.

I have a set of the antennas stored.  When I get to the storage location
this weekend, I will try to remember to shoot another set of pictures.

As I recall, I found a common size aluminum cake pan set of 5 pans that
came close to the needed choke ring dimensions.  The smallest pan was
turned over and some of the rim was removed and the antenna was glued to
it with epoxies.  Then then remaining pans were used face up and
centered via a bolt.  I used some square aluminum tubing on the bottom
to attach pipe clamps, and it was mounted to a pipe mount.  The other
two sets that I have, are attached to adjustable laser level mounts,
which is attached to surveying tripods.  I did some carrier phase
surveying using the Motorola Oncore VP gps receivers and in general had
positioning repeatability of just under 3/4 of an inch.

Of the bat, somewhere either NASA or NGS published data (on the web) on
choke ring antennas back when choke rings first came out.  They had
photos and measured dimensions and some performance data on the
electrical phase centers/error on these antennas.  I believe the test
were performed in Maryland, Virginia or DC area.

Also, I do not remember if it was on this list or the earlier TAPR list,
it was discussed using the choke ring assembly off of a 3.7-4.2 Ghz
satellite TVRO feedhorn assembly.  Choke rings can be wide bandwidth and
low "Q" or narrow band and high "Q".

If Dr. Clark is still on the list, he may be able to enlighten everybody.

Brian KD4FM