[time-nuts] GPS Locked and Unlocked Performance Comparison

Didier Juges didier at cox.net
Fri Feb 15 00:08:47 UTC 2008

Hi Said,

It seems we are at the same point. I have been using a TI/Burr-Brown
microprocessor with a 24 bit ADC and 8 input multiplexer (the MSC1210, which
is actually advertised as a precision ADC which happens to have a full blown
8051, 32k of Flash and all the usual goodies including a long timer on the
same die) , and it seems the most practical way to make a 24 bit DAC for one
of those is to use two 16 bit DACs and use one ADC channel to verify and
tweak the DAC as necessary. Not very elegant, but practical, as long as the
other specs can be met.

I have to settle on a voltage reference. Based on a posting on this or
another mailing list, we have been evaluating a Thaler reference for a
military project I am working on (day job) and I have been quite impressed,
even though they are more intended for harsh environment than for low noise,
which will not really help for this project. I have not quantified the
close-in noise, but I will be using some of Bruce's recommendations to build
something using my PC's sound card to measure it.

All this is a relatively far-out project, but I am getting the pieces
together.

Didier KO4BB