[time-nuts] Handar INC WWV receiver

Stanley Reynolds stanley_reynolds at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 16 22:32:42 UTC 2008

My first post. I became interested in time as the result of time syncing my network of PCs' time and using my firewall as a time server. I wanted to make my own network time server using a GPS receiver. The WWV receiver is just for extra fun also have a WWVB receiver in the works.

Ebay turned up this receiver board intended for signal light systems which I have and hope to use.

HANDAR INC.
541-6001
WWV REV B C1990
MADE IN USA
BD#541-2001  (BAC)-F 895

Does anyone have info about this board ?
No luck with Google any tips about where to look ?

Supply voltage, connector J2 pin-out, data format etc ?

My visual inspection reveals :

J1 antenna in
J2 power and data connector 12 pins

Test points :  (L.O.) (DEMOD) (TIME CODE) (RTC)

It has 3 crystals for 5,10, and 15 MHz single conversion IF 455Khz with 3 crystal filter.
Receiver IC ST TDA12208

Demod section ICs : LM366N-4 LM393N LF353 (part number hard to read on this last one not 100% sure)

Processor Intel 80C51FA crystal 11.0592
Several support ICs 74HC type not listed

UV EPROM 27C64 socketed with sticker (541) & (2.45)  541 is same as board part # 541-6001 guess 2.45 is firmware version

RTC ic OKI THAILAND M6242B with 32Khz crystal

Power section has 2 ICs LP2951CN think one makes 10V for receiver and one makes 5V for logic power supply maybe 12V ?
J2 pin 7&8 ground
    pin  9 + supply

Several things I will try if I find no info:
1) Start at 5 volts supply and ramp up to 12V while watching the 10 and 5 volt outputs to determine supply.
2) Read eprom and dissemble firmware code for clue to data format
3) Trace board to id input and output data pins

Stanley