[time-nuts] favorite microcontroller module?

Robert Vassar rvassar at rob-vassar.com
Wed Feb 20 14:13:39 UTC 2008

On Feb 20, 2008, at 5:05 AM, Bob Paddock wrote:

> On Tuesday 19 February 2008 06:36:02 pm Robert Vassar wrote:
>
>> I regard PIC chips as something to be avoided.  Horrible little
>> architecture that should have died back in the 70's.  It gained a
>> foothold with hobbyists due to the ease with which they can be
>> programmed.
>
> The PIC gained a foothold due to Motorola, not Hobbyists.

I'm sure you'll agree that there's a difference between: "gained a
foothold with hobbyists" and "gained a foothold because of
hobbyists".  Point being, that at one time it was much easier to
flash program a PIC on your kitchen counter than it was to program a
'51.

> Almost all AVR's do have bootloader abilities, but you do have
> to get the bootloader code in there with a programmer
> the first time around.

True.  But that could be said of most flash uC's.  Several of the '51
variants come with a bootloader from the factory.  Sadly, I believe
one of my favorites, the AT89C51ED2 is no longer available in 40
PDIP.  (Yea... I know... Long past time to go SMD...)

Rob