[time-nuts] favorite microcontroller module?

Javier javier at nebulosa.org
Wed Feb 20 17:13:16 UTC 2008

Hi,

I've used lots of things... from 68HC05 to ARM and Blackfin DSPs. My
opinions are:

68HC05, 68HC11: were fun :)

8051 and derivatives: when I used them, there were no such nice things
like SiLabs and other derivatives. Then I did not liked them too much, I
preferred the 68HC11811E2 for typical '8051' applications.

Fujitsu MB90Fxxx: 16 bits, quite nice, used them in some designs. Free
tools from Fujitsu, enough FLASH memory and RAM for many applications.

PIC: I've used it in several designs. Not bad, but not my preferred
architecture. I'm mostly with Robert about its architecture, but I
recognice that some pieces are nice problem solvers, as Chuck has
pointed. But apart from the very small footprint parts, I would try to
avoid them.

AVR: Used since recently instead of a PIC (an ATtiny261). Unexpensive,
fast, nice peripherals. GCC tools. I prefer them over PICs, and in the
future, will use them instead of PICs.

DSP56F8xx: DSP, a quite particular machine. Used since its peripherals,
size, and price fitted quite good into the design, and used from then in
several derivatives. One particularity is that it is a pure 16-bit
machine (a 'char' is 16-bit wide), has no byte addressing capabilities.
Expensive tools :(

Coldfire: Nice, used Netburner modules and ported uClinux 2.6 to them
about two or three years ago (2.4 was already ported to some Neburner
boards). Was a satisfactory experience, both from customer and developer
point of views :)

ARM-7: I've used several, from Atmel (AT91SAM7S64) and from NXP
(LPC2114), without external bus. GCC tools, fast and very flexible
machines, good pricing. Used it in several projects and also quite
satisfied with them.

Blackfin: Powerful DSP. We have an ADSP-BF532 board designed for running
uClinux in this processor. Very nice but not particularly low power
consumption ;) Now playing in free time to run ntpd on it with a M12 GPS
(hey... not so off-topic!)

And I've forgot some... (anyone remember ATT's DSP32C? among others...)

In conclusion, nowadays I would select:

- A PIC for these applications were a 6 pin or a 8 pin microprocessor is
enough
- An AVR where more pins or better peripherals are needed
- An ARM where more I/O, peripherals, or 32-bit power is needed
- Our Blackfin board for more complex systems, with ethernet
connectivity, graphic touch screen or heavy DSP requirements

Regards,

Javier Herrero, EA1CRB, not only a hobbyist ;) (and due to lack of
time... less hobbyist that I would like!)