[time-nuts] favorite microcontroller module?

Mike S mikes at flatsurface.com
Thu Feb 21 02:04:21 UTC 2008

At 06:36 PM 2/19/2008, Robert Vassar wrote...
>I'll second this.  I'm kind of fond of the MCS-51 family for 8 bit
>applications.

>I regard PIC chips as something to be avoided.

I suppose it's a religious issue, but I have always preferred
Motorola-style (MOS, Microchip), instruction sets (more orthogonal) and
mnemonics to Intel-style ones (Atmel). It makes more sense (at least in
English) to say "put the bread on the table," than "put on the table
the bread."

And don't get me started about linear addressing and memory I/O
(Motorola) vs. butt-ugly segmented addressing (Intel).