[time-nuts] The Original Time Nut

Arnold Tibus Arnold.Tibus at gmx.de
Fri Feb 22 22:23:13 UTC 2008

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 21:20:18 +0100, Jan Fredriksson wrote:

>Can anyone point to some good reading on John Harrison,
>who in the 18th century devoted his life to making the best
>timekeepers ever built and who also constructed and built
>the first usable marine chronometer.

I liked the book 'Longitude' very much - an excellent story!

"I think I may make bold to say that there is neither any other
Mechanism or Mathematical thing in the World that is more
beautiful or curious in texture than this my [longitude] Time-keeper."
(by John Harrison)

Question,
aren't such clocks already a kind of 'digital' clocks,
using ecapement mechanismn to force the drive to run
stepwise alike run by dripping water?

regards
Arnold