[time-nuts] The Original Time Nut

Neville Michie namichie at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 04:15:35 UTC 2008

Clocks do not have to tick.
A pendulum may be made to swing in a cone,
sweeping through two dimensions.
The timing is the same, the only problem is that no-one has found a good
way to limit the energy input so the arc (diameter) of the swing remains
small and constant.
The tick by tick release of energy in most escapements results in a
stable amplitude
of oscillation.
Conical (analogue) pendulums have been used in novelty clocks and
speciallised
  clocks to govern the motion of telescopes, particularly for taking
long time exposure
photographs.
The continual start-stop of the train in a clock causes many problems
of friction and wear.
If the contacting surfaces were in continual motion friction and wear
would be much lower.
If only a good "escapement" to control a conical pendulum could be
found the life and
efficiency of the mechanical clock would be greatly increased, and no-
one would be
kept awake with the ticking of the clock.
As it is we have a very strongly established tradition of "locking"
and "impulsing"
in all the escapements of clocks, very similar to the zero voltage,
transition to high,
and ultimate return to zero, that we have to trigger counters and the
like.
cheers, Neville Michie