[time-nuts] HP 58516A GPS antenna distribution amp.

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Wed Feb 27 19:01:56 UTC 2008

Hi Dave,

I have one of these, and they should be easy to fix:

The amplifier is resistively split into the different outputs. If I  remember
correctly there is some cavity filter on every output, as well as a DC
termination for the GPS receivers' antenna power voltage.

Thus if the other outputs work, then either one of the splitter resistors,
the cavity filter, one of the coupling caps, or the termination resistor is
broken/shorted.

I would remove these one by one and see what happens. Shouldn't take  long
since its only a few components. You don't really need the cavity filter,
today's GPS are good enough and will work without it.

Alternatively, feed a weak but measurable 1574MHz signal into the unit, and
trace the signal through the amp to the non-working output.

Remember that you have to provide power to the unit, either through the
power pin, or ONE of the ports if the unit is wired with the AC-blocker inductor
for antenna input power.

bye,
Said

In a message dated 2/27/2008 02:22:36 Pacific Standard Time,