[time-nuts] SVN23/PRN32 useable

Kiwi Geoff geoff36 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 21:13:30 UTC 2008

Chris wrote:
>>  Is there anyone else in the group, that has an AC12, and can say if it
>>  can use PRN 32?
>  I have one. I'll set it up for a test tonight.

All is well Chris, my AC12 this morning is happily tracking PRN 32.

I guess what threw me yesterday was not realising that almanacs from
different GPS satellites  with the "same" ToA (Time of Applicability)
- can have different contents.

I guess it is a reminder that each GPS satellite is autonomous in both
its clock and transmission of almanac data. That at anyone time, there
can be different versions of almanac data being transmitted to
different parts of the world from different GPS satellites.

I had not followed so closely before the "delay" from when a GPS
satellite is activated in space - to how long it takes for almanacs to
be updated in "other" satellites and for how long that may take to end
up in a GPS receiver.

In hindsight, I should have had a go at changing the "health status"
of PRN 32 in an older almanac and uploaded that to the GPS receiver.
That way the GPS receiver would have actively searched for the PRN
code. That would have saved having to wait so long for a "good"
almanac to be transmitted from "another" GPS satellite in the fleet.

Thanks Chris.

Regards, Kiwi Geoff.