[time-nuts] Antenna problems

Bill Hawkins bill at iaxs.net
Fri Feb 29 17:05:14 UTC 2008

Have a pair of HP 58532 GPS antennas mounted four feet apart
on an outdoor mast that is below the horizon due to hills.
Bought a 100 foot roll of RG-8U, cut it in half and attached
N connectors to both ends. Physical distance from radio to
antenna is about 40 feet, but I wanted identical lengths.

Lost one of them several years ago when lightning struck
next door, about 100 feet away. The stroke split a one foot
diameter oak and entered the neighbor's house via an outside
floodlight. Damage to the house was minimal, but some stuff
was fried.

Lost another one this year in the Minneapolis cold snaps. At
least the 3801 went into holdover and recovered during a
brief thaw. But the cold came back and the signal went away
again. It hasn't come back (in hold for 700 hours, about 10
seconds off) even though we had another warm spell.

Any other lightning or low temp experiences out there?

One day, I'll replace the 3801s with Lucent rubidium boxes,
(last year's fad) soon as I get a round tuit - and a lot
more data on the boxes.

Bill Hawkins