[time-nuts] GPS-Attached Equipment Lightning Protection

randy warner randy at geodetics.com
Fri Feb 29 23:21:18 UTC 2008

TVB Et al,

In my experience (horror stories from the field) they have worked well. RF
characteristics are pretty good for all. I have used several of the Citel
units myself.

Remember, the surge protector will do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to protect the
antenna. Their sole intent is to prevent large surges from getting into your
electronics, house wiring, fingers, toes, etc. The receiver will be toast
most likely, unless the hit is far away. Bear in mind that the front end of
the antenna is a little, tiny, low voltage, lo-noise amplifier that really
doesn't want to see any more that about a -60dB signal. It doesn't take much
energy to pop one of these. Just ask any boat owner who has placed his GPS
antenna within the sweep path of his marine radar..........

I did have one case several years ago where a customer called to order a new
timing antenna. He had no lightning protection and the receiver survived
just fine (ya just can't kill a VP - they die when they damn well feel like
it......)

Turned out the weak point in his system was his computer. Most of the energy
passed through the case, but the serial card was absolute toast.....

Randy