[time-nuts] VP oncore question

Randy Warner randy at geodetics.com
Wed Jan 2 16:48:57 UTC 2008

Morris,

The easiest thing is to connect a jumper from Pin 1 of the 10-pin header to
one of the holes used to previously mount the battery. I would suggest
putting a resistor (1-4.7K is fine) and diode in the middle of this wire to
limit current in case of any mistakes and prevent any possibility of the
onboard charger from damaging your external battery. A couple of standard
alkaline AAA cells will keep the VP backed up for MANY years.

There are quite a few rechargeable LiOn coin cells that will fit on the
board also, but it is just about impossible to find the cell Motorola used
with the welded pins. Just about any rechargeable LiOn cell you can find
will fit, you'll just need to hardwire from the legs on the battery to the
holes in the VP board.

Randy Warner