[time-nuts] sync computer clock ticks

Michael Di Domenico mdidomenico at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 03:14:01 UTC 2008

This has probably been asked many times before, but i am unable to
find any documentation to point me in the right direction.  And yes i
am a newbie with clocks...

I'd like to synchronize the clock ticks on 16 different computers
running linux, down to the 1usec area.  Is this even possible from a
computer hardware standpoint?

If so, can someone point me towards some documentation that explains
how to wire up 16 computers to a reference clock source and override
the computer internal clocks?

I found the Symetricom website, but it seems light on details on
exactly how a solution like this all connects together and they're
products are likely outside my budget.

Ideally, I'd like to use the serial port on each of these 16 servers
to connect to some device to get the synchronization signal from a
reference.  Even if this was possible, i don't think it would get me
to 1usec though.

Thanks
- Michael