[time-nuts] 5060A question

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Tue Jan 8 10:04:13 UTC 2008

From: Bruce Griffiths <bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz>
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] 5060A question
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 20:56:14 +1300

> Dave Carlson wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Since the source of the noise is the vibration of the Hot Wire Ionizer
> > ribbon inside the CBT it will require using something other than pressure on
> > the outer container to snuff it out. The outer steel of the CBT is rigid.
> >
> > Dave
> >

> Which is why it transmits the sound so well.
> Its not the pressure but the acoustic damping.
> However material which has high acoustic damping also tends to be a good
> thermal insulator, so care must be taken to avoid overheating components.

Agree.

> The idea isnt so much to stop the ribbon vibrating but attenuate the
> transmission of the vibration to the surrounding structures and
> ultimately the air.

Indeed, this was my point.

> A correctly sized and located acoustic resonator with appropriate
> internal damping can help by absorbing the sound caused by the vibration.

The fixed frequency suits our purpose here.

In the land of EMC there are there ways to reduce interference:

1) Make the transmitter less efficient
2) Make the transmission path less efficient
3) Make the receiver less efficient

For this case, 3 is clearly out of the question, but there are certainly alot
of options in rule 2 (which can be seens as rule 1 depending on where you draw
the boarder between transmitter and transmission path).

Cheers,
Magnus