[time-nuts] Prologix, Linux and bash

Jeff Mock jeff at mock.com
Wed Jan 16 20:38:46 UTC 2008

I have excellent luck using a Prologix device on a couple of different
machines running ubuntu linux (7.04 and 7.10).   I find it totally painless.

You might run usbview and see if the device is being recognized or look
at /var/log/messages while plugging in the device.  Something like:

    % sudo tail -f /var/log/messages

You should see the device get recognized and a message telling you what
device it is assigned to.

I use the ser2net daemon with the prologix device.  This acts as a proxy
  for accessing serial devices over the network.  This way you can
telnet to the GPIB device from the local machine or over the network.
This makes it really convenient to access GPIB devices over the local
network.

As far as programming the GPIB devices, I use perl, it's a lot cleaner
than a bunch of crazy echo commands in a bash script.  The Telnet module
in perl makes it easy to access the ser2net proxy to the GPIB device.

There are a lot of different ways to do it, but that's what works best
for me.

jeff