[time-nuts] Slightly OT: inexpensiveUSB analog-digitalconverter?

Darrell Harmon dlharmon at dlharmon.com
Fri Jan 18 04:11:05 UTC 2008

The FPGA does contain the complete digital downconverter and upconverter
(actually 2-4 downconverters are planned). Input to the FPGA is the 16
bit 125 MHz real data from the ADC and the output is 24 bit 500 kHz
complex data. The DSP does nothing but move data at the moment. FFTs and
future demodulation is done on a PC. The lack of floating point in the
Blackfin makes it impractical for high dynamic range FFTs. It requires a
fairly high end laptop to run it due to doing all of the DSP on the PC side.

There is also a DC - 1.8 GHz transceiver front end that is currently
functional except for a few minor issues The phase noise of the front
end is not very good (-90 dBc/Hz @ 10k) due to the YTO and 2nd LO VCO.

I have found that the IF board alone is very useful as it covers 100 kHz
to 40 MHz (transformer coupled). The front end has a bypass relay which
will allow direct use of the ADC and DAC.

The current IF board is working quite nicely. It only had to have 1
jumper wire and 2 pullup resistor added. I plan to do another revision
of the IF board (ADC, DAC, FPGA, DSP, USB) to add a few features and fix
a few minor bugs. I will build 3 for my own use and do not plan to build
any more. I don't really want to deal with any more 0402 parts than I
have to. Gerbers will be posted on my website, but I doubt anyone other
than me would want to build one. It is a very expensive board with lots
of tiny components. The ADC alone is $130.

In addition to spectrum analyzer software, I plan on doing vector
network analyzer software, software defined radio software and
oscillator characterization software. I expect to be posting more
questions here as I get to the oscillator characterization part.

Darrell Harmon - KI4MVK