[time-nuts] Slightly OT: inexpensive USB analog-digital converter?

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Fri Jan 18 19:15:19 UTC 2008

>>Measuring current gets tricky.
> Actually not, there are several good chips like the INA197.

Mostly, what I was trying to point out is that measuring current probably
won't work well with a simple off-the-shelf general purpose A/D via USB setup.

If you were going to build a gizmo for this sort of work, what would you
include?

One each of current, voltage, and temperature seems like a good combination.
Maybe another/spare input would be handy.

For this sort of stuff, I think I'd rather have more bits than higher speed.

Is there some obvious micro with a builtin A/D that's good enough and USB (or
serial)?

How much error do analog muxes add?