[time-nuts] Slightly OT: inexpensive USB analog-digitalconverter?

Didier Juges didier at cox.net
Sat Jan 19 00:33:42 UTC 2008

We use those and sensitivity to stray fields is indeed the most significant
beef I have with them (low bandwidth being another, and drift being the
icing on the cake :-)

I have not looked at their complete line, and maybe I should, but those we
use have a nominal output for zero current that is not zero volts, so they
require a differentiual amplifier and an additional voltage reference which
brings its own set of problem and complexity.

However, it's easy to get 1500VAC isolation (as I am required in the
application where I use them) and DC coupling.

Bottom line, if you can live with the moderate precision they offer
off-the-shelf, they are great, but don't try to improve on it or you'll hit
all sorts of brick walls.

Didier KO4BB

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
8:23 PM