[time-nuts] RFTG-m-RB

James R. Gorr n3toy at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 20 00:41:12 UTC 2008

What I am trying to accomplish is provide a reference
for my HP 3586C.  I want to try my hand at the FMT in
February.

I have a set of the Lucent RFTG-m-XO and RFTG-m-RB.

My options are use the RB as stand alone or use the XO
with the GPS, or combine the two.  (I believe I have
the "matched set" that should work together).

Either way, they both output 15 MHz sine wave and the
RB outputs 10 MHz square wave.

Is there an advantage using one over the other?  I
would like to set them up together as the matched set
they are supposed to be, although I don't think there
is any advantage to that for me really.

So, for starters I was just going to use the Rb's 10
MHz output.  But the more I think about it, the more
questions I have.

>From reading all the previous posts about these the
GPS does not disciplines the Rb.  The Rb unit is there
to take over in the even the GPS fails.  So that leads
me to believe that the XO is more accurate in the
short term as long as it has something to steer it
like a GPS or the Rb.

So my guess is that the XO would really be a better
choice, but I am back to dividing the 15 MHz down to
10 MHz.  I understand about dividing by 3 and
multiplying by 2.  Could someone please provide a
circuit?

Am I right in my logic and am I going down the right
path with my project?

Thanks for all the expert support.

Jamie