[time-nuts] final rules and regulations for IEEE Spectrum clock-making contest

Neville Michie namichie at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 23:01:14 UTC 2008

Hi,
this contest is a bit late,
surely there are thousands of products developed over the last 20 years
that have all but exhausted the possibilities for such a product.
The "best" clock that I have is a Swiss made analogue quartz clock.
It bears the brand "Swiss Army", it is a travel alarm clock and runs
on a "N" sized cell.
It seems to keep time to about 20 secs in a year. My wrist watch is
similarly good
in performance.
I was discussing this project with my wife, who is an artist and
designer, and she suggested
a clock in the form of a row of isolated cylinders or cubes, each
bearing one digit.
THAT would be really cool!
To have no wires it might be an idea for each to have a photovoltaic
on on one face
to power each element of the device, and a variety of methods could
be used to have
them communicate.
Magnetic field, radio, anything would work on micropower at a range
of two inches.
If you wanted them to be supercool, design them so that they assume
the appropriate
digit no matter how you re-arrange the order, as long as they are in
a row.
Now there is a challenge,

cheers, Neville Michie