[time-nuts] Wenzel, Inc article on low-noise oscillators

Mike Fahmie mpfahmie at lbl.gov
Thu Jan 24 00:22:49 UTC 2008

The Wenzel article mentions that care was taken to minimize power supply
noise and HEATER NOISE. I had never considered the effect of the magnetic
field from the heater winding coupling into the oscillator circuitry.

Fortunately (aka luckily), I had always wound my heater coils with 2
conductor thermocouple wire (the constantin conductor is quite resistive)
and brought the return current back through the copper conductor just for
convenience, oblivious to the field cancellation feature! Another example
of being right for the wrong reason!

-Mike-
WA6ZTY