[time-nuts] Z3801A performance plots

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Fri Jan 25 23:42:19 UTC 2008

That looks like a classical underdamped PLL response.  You usually see this
sort of hump in a phase-noise plot when your PLL is about to break into
oscillation. :)

Either someone at HP was careless with the loop-filter constants and came
close to running out of phase margin, the Z3801A is not configured properly,
or (who knows?) something fundamental about the disciplining process changed
when selective availability was turned off.

It looks like the disciplining loop bandwidth should be reduced, and/or the
phase margin should be increased.  It's at least an order of magnitude too
wide.

-- john, KE5FX