[time-nuts] device as sniffer/ promiscuous mode GPIB devices?

Patrick optomatic at rogers.com
Mon Jan 28 13:19:40 UTC 2008

Hi Ulrich

Thanks for your time and thanks for EZGPIB!

I rebuild and resell lab instruments. My customers are doing great work
finding cures for diseases. The software to control their instruments
cost between 5-40K and is hyped up garbage that eats up their meager
budgets. I desperately, desperately want to write an open source
replacement. I am planning on offering the "base package" for free but
charging a small fee for some of the various add on instrument control
modules. I also want the application to have the on-board tools required
to sniff ports for the do-it-your-self reverse engineering of closed
source communication.

I need to sniff the communication between the instruments and their
native software. Abdul, helpful as always, has shown me that I must use
a card that supports promiscuous mode. I have an INES PCI GPIB card on
hand and I am going to give that a try.

Does anyone have experience with any promiscuous mode devices? Under
Linux would be even better, if possible?

Is NI spy a full sniffer? NI have been really mistreating me of late and
I would prefer not to buy from them as they no longer provide free
technical support(now it's $300)

Thanks-patrick