[time-nuts] TBolt UK import

Peter Vince pvince at theiet.org
Wed Jul 2 14:51:30 UTC 2008

It depends on the value.  I understand that items with a declared
value of less than 100 pounds will be passed through by UK customs.
However above that, VAT (at our standard rate of 17.5%) is added, as
well as import duties (if applicable) at about 5% (depending on the
item).  Carriers will then usually charge a fee for sorting out all
the customs paperwork.  I have had charges as low as 5 pounds from
FedEx, and 8 to 12 pounds from Royal Mail ParcelForce (who take in
packages sent by USPS).  Some carriers (FedEx, TNT) will deliver as
soon as possible, and subsequently send you an invoice for the import
charges; but ParcelForce always sends you the bill, and awaits
payment before delivery.  International couriers always want a
contact telephone number for the recipient: I find this shows up on
the PayPal payment screen, but that information isn't forwarded to
the seller, so be sure to include it in the comments box.

	Regards,

		Peter Vince  (G8ZZR, London, England)