[time-nuts] Rb references for audiophiles?

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Fri Jul 4 17:18:10 UTC 2008

From: Christian Vogel <vogelchr at vogel.cx>
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Rb references for audiophiles?
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2008 18:59:51 +0200

> > ESOTERIC - G-0Rb MASTER CLOCK GENERATOR (RUBIDIUM)
> …“esoteric”…
>
> While I realize the absurdity of hooking up such a thing to your
> CD player at home, there can be merits of having a centrally generated
> and extremely accurate clock in a professional audio/video production
> facility. When you are passing around digital audio and video signals
> between production desks in different rooms or even countries,
> missing drift can eliminate the need for special resampling equipment
> (frame stores for video).

There is great benefits in having a "house clock". Especially when those are
GPS coordinated. For TV-production with multiple sources it is painstaiking
to use Time Base Correctors all the time. Those are used to overcome the
problem of wrong frequency, which include dropping or duplicating images and
pitchingshifting sound to handle the error. That the quality suffers comes
without saying. This is not the audiofile level quality, this is professional
production level quality. Some links may have multiple TBCs in series, since
the intermediate network may wander alot.

> > Fascinating, too, that they don't actually have any real data on the
> > jitter performance of their box on the spec sheet.. even though that's
> > what they're selling.. they just quote the absolute frequency accuracy.
>
> I'd say you don't get the concept of “Audiophile Equipment” here! :-)

True, but it IS a common missconception. Somebody should cook up a good online
article and presentation explaining it and separating the issues. Hmm. Wiki.
Hmm. Maybe later tonight.

> It doesn't matter what the measurement says as long as you can hear it,
> the sound is more vivid and… you get the idea.
>
> 	Chris
>
> (who get's his 48kHz wordclock by dividing 18.4 MHz from a can oscillator
>  by 348 with a AVR microcontroller…)

NOOOOOO!!!!!
You NEED to use an annealed anisomorph passive divider in a anti-parallel setup
to get anywhere near usefullness.

Cheers,
Magnus