[time-nuts] Thunderbolt and USB to RS232 converters

Arnold Tibus Arnold.Tibus at gmx.de
Sun Jul 6 15:57:48 UTC 2008

Hello all Thunderbolt enthusiasts,

I follow with great interest all the comments and remarks.
I have as well a Thunderbolt and I am running it successfully since
a few days under WinXP SP2 directly on Com1 and with several
USB/RS232 converter I/Fs. Of course all the necessary drivers for my
USB/Ser adapters (Prolific v. 2.0.0.18 and CH341PT.DLL
& CH341SER.SYS from winchiphead.com/cn) are installed.
Most of the day it runs with 6 to 8 satellites, the antenna not yet on the roof.

Fortunately Trimble designed the I/F protocols quite straight in line and
one can use some features of programs for other models which are not
in Tboltmon.. I tried severals and found, beside - Tboltmon.exe
(v2.60, Thunderboltmonitor program) as well very interesting and helpful :

- DSPMon.exe (v1-53) DSP GPS Timing Monitor

- TR_MON.exe  Timing Receiver Monitor
(the only one with instructiv help file)

- trimblemon.exe (v1-06-0) Trimble GPS Monitor
with instruction file as pdf explaining
"Installing the FTDI USB/Serial Driver Software."
"The new Trimble GPS Monitor (TGM) application is a tool
that can replace many of the previous
monitor
 and
chat

programs used for Trimble Embedded and Resolution T products."
A nice gimmick is eg. the real time Google on line Sat map etc.

Attention: I don't know if it is possible to upset the Thunderbolt
with incorrect instructions uploaded, but I do not think so,
pse do not make me responsible!

Digging around I found a good helper for the ser. interface connection
and setting problems:

You do not know how to find the right com port setting?
There is a way with 'Trimble GPS Monitor' v. 1.06.0 :
it does run a test with all possible parameters on the selected port
of the list.

Connect the GPS RX to the desired Com Port eg. via an USB/RS232
converter,
Start 'Trimble GPS Monitor 1.06.0 _07/2008 .exe' (no installation necessary),
'Initialize',: 'Detect Receiver',
Select a COM Port out of the list, tick 'Protocols':
'TSIP' & 'Check even parities', follow instruction at 'Status' to start,
start 1st com port and repeat it with next port no.until the program does
report the successful detection of the GPS-Receiver showing port
parameters of receiver.
Accept to connect to it and start monitoring.
In fact,
the default parameters for Thunderbolt seem to be 9600-8-Odd-1.

These parameters may then be modified under 'Configure',
'Receiver Configuration', 'Port Configuration' to eg. Parity 'None' (usual)
and saved with 'Set and Save Configuration' into non volatile memory.

Now you can exit this program and start 'Thunderbolt Monitor'
(v. 2.60/1999), you are then asked to set the the now known port no
(eg. 13), the program communication should start nominal.

As I understand, once properly configured the Thunderbolt does run
without the need of the PC, if the position is not changed.
The Oscillator continue to run with the (last?) afc value stored in
memory.

The details for best configuration I don't know yet, I hope there
will be more hints given by the experts here in the group.
I keep watching !

I am running the TB with a prolific USB to Serial adapter (result: com9)
and a cheap ftdi based USB2 adapter (com13) very smooth. Naturally
it does work as well directly connected to the db9pin port com1 on the PC,
always using a direct 1:1 wired 9p-9s connection and not a wire crossing
(null modem) cable!

I connected both USB/RS232 adapters simultaneously to my Laptop
getting 3 free serial ports available for the GPS Receivers, com1, com9
and com14 (attention, the port numbers may change when plugging in
and out, sometimes you may have to search for new devices).
Thunderbolt Monitor does show all the assigned ports at the right side
column for com ports 1 to 16.
Clicking in the empty fields the assigned ports turn yellow (and remain on,
the designated and selected GPS-port turns green.
That way it is possible to run several GPS devices with different control
software.

I hope that  I could help somebody with these small hints for the first steps.

I find it a good idea to design some (small?) h/w to command the
Thunderbolt without the need of a PC.

good luck and fun experimenting,
Thank you Tom and all the others involved here in the group buy of
Thunderbolt together with the adequate power supply!

regards,
Arnold T.