[time-nuts] Frequency divider design critique request

time at johnea.net time at johnea.net
Fri Jul 11 00:08:05 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 11:33:53AM +1200, Bruce Griffiths wrote:
> time at johnea.net wrote:
> > Hi David,
> >
> > It looks like your design is pretty far along, so maybe it's too late for this suggestion, but one thing you might consider is replacing the 7400 series logic with a 5V CPLD programmable logic device.
> >
> > This could offer several advantages:
> >
> > 1) any issues (such as jitter) could be addressed by reflashing the CPLD and may let you avoid hardware PCB changes.
> >
> You cannot "fix" modulation of the higher frequency divider outputs by
> lower frequency outputs by reprogramming a CPLD or FPGA.
> External reclocking/resynchronising flipflops (one per output frequency)
> are required

Flip flops within the CPLD can be clocked with completely asynchronous clocks and perform the exact function of devices external to the CPLD.

> > The ISE design tool offers built in Verilog, VHDL or CUPL programming laguages, or (and this really amazed me) a built in schematic editor tool! This lets you capture the design, just as you have, in a schematic, and then synthesize the logic and perform a complete simulation of your captured schematic.
> >
> > You could even just download the tool, capture your existing schematic (there are logic elements for 7400 series logic devices) and use the tool as a simulation engine to test your design. Even if you ultimately plan to use the 7400 parts.
> >

> Just dont use this method to implement the dividers etc in the CPLD.
> Its better to use a fully synchronous decade divider chain if possible
> as this eliminates all the realignment logic required with ripple
> clocked divider chains.

Excellent point. While you could capture your existing design in it's exact form for simulation purposes, if you intended to use the CPLD as the final target device, a fully synchronous divider would be best. The symbol libraries contain a very nice full look ahead counter which is cascadable to arbitrary width.

In fact Bruce's point of using synchronous design practices really applies equally to designs within a CPLD/FPGA or implimented using discrete components.

> Another issue with some (but not all) CPLDs are the power supply
> requirements, at least with CMOS the divider (when not driving too many
> outputs) has a low power supply current making battery operation feasible.

I would expect that replacing the many 74HCxx logic devices with one CPLD would provide a power consumption benefit.

BTW, Altera also offers a very full featured design tool for their programmable logic devices viia free download, but I haven't tried it as it's available for windows only.

johnea