[time-nuts] precise external reference time for a PC

Ulrich Bangert df6jb at ulrich-bangert.de
Sat Jul 12 13:00:22 UTC 2008

Marc,

> ...preferrably an atomic clock that I can hook....

if you need the stability and precision of an atomic clock you will of
course not come around to REALLY use one!

However, for everything else I would do it like that: Generate a 14.318
MHz signal phase locked or DDS synthesized from the atomic standard and
feed this signal directly into the motherboard. Every motherboard
features timers that can be read out regardless of operating system and
preferred programming language that are clocked by this 14.318 MHz
signal. You will save lots of expenses that an otherwise hardware based
low latency clock may cost.

> I am looking for used equipment, it should fit in a hobbyists
> budget,  sth. in the 1000-5000$ range would be nice, but it
> should be as precise as possible.

Most interesting note from Switzerland! Is this your weekly or monthly
hobbyist budget? What are your current immigration rules?

73s and my best regards
Ulrich, DF6JB