[time-nuts] Double ovened 10811-60158 on ebay

Didier Juges didier at cox.net
Sat Jul 12 13:49:43 UTC 2008

My understanding of thermal regulation is that one of the more difficult
thing to do is precisely to know what is the temperature of the components
you are trying to stabilize.

If you have one oven (even double oven), you have one temperature sensor.
The best you can do is keep the sensor at a constant temperature. Assuming
the temperature sensor is kept at a perfectly stable temperature, how
constant will the temperature of other components be will be a matter of
hardware design and layout. I.e. the components you are trying to stabilize
should be closely thermally coupled to the sensor. Because there are more
than one component to stabilize, not just the crystal, it is a difficult
task.

The issue is not just static regulation, but also regulation in the presence
of a temperature gradient. We understand that if you change the ambient
temperature by X, the oven will react to keep the sensor's temperature
constant, but the distribution of that heat flux will change dynamically
(particularly it will be affected by the masses that are in the way, between
the source of heat and the components that are to be stabilized), and even
if you have perfect static regulation, in most cases there will be a
non-zero dynamic response (a transient).

The designers of the HP E1938 (which never went to full production) went
through pains to try and keep the gradient evenly distributed precisely for
that reason. My guess is that it you take the cover out from the E1938, you
will find a perfectly symmetrical layout around the center, where the
thermistor is located.

A large massive cover over the OCXO will go a long way to reduce the
transient and allow the oven controller loop to react smoothly, but as long
as the time constant is less than the period of variation (a day?), the peak
to peak frequency variations will not change much, but they should be more
predictable and may be compensated by a feed-forward mechanism, or a Kalman
filter.

Didier