[time-nuts] Thunderbolt temperature spikes

Chris Kuethe chris.kuethe at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 18:11:48 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 9:44 AM, Dan Rae <danrae at verizon.net> wrote:

> This is a "spike"?  Surely this kind of tiny temperature variation on
> the unit's board somewhere outside the oven does not have a lot of
> relevance or effect on anything inside the oven where it is all
> happening.  And what is the tolerance and resolution of the temperature
> measuring device anyway? Or am I missing something fundamental here?

You are missing something fundamental. This is time-nuts, where we
love to quibble over stray picoseconds and definitely get our knickers
in a knot over a few nanoseconds. That some part of a timing system
suddenly changed by several *hundredths* of a part is an atrocity! :)

I'm only half-kidding. I guess it's like large uptimes on unix
machines - it's fun to see how long you can keep a system running, and
how stable it is. Changes are worth investigating and quantifying. Is
this a normal, bounded oscillation? Is this just randomess? Is the cat
sleeping on the ovenized oscillator again? Are squirrels chewing on
the antenna cables? Generally - what is the state of the system, what
forces are affecting it, how can we make the system run better?

CK