[time-nuts] Thunderbolt temperature spikes

Tom Clifton kc0vsj at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 14 20:50:30 UTC 2008

My own gut feeling is that it is a glitch making its way through one of the power supplies. Its decay looks like it could be capacitive... Pr thermal..... or (fill in the blank)

I'm using the brick power supply povided and it is possible that they generate transients, or poorly react to normal line garbage.  I'm off for a week of forced vacation (hernia repair - picked up too many boat anchors at hamfests...)  but plan to proceede with building linear supplies with battery backup.  Once I'm isolated from the mains the glitches will prove themselves by their presence or absence.

If anybody out there has a "red box" Thunderbolt that runs off a single dc supply - could you graph the temperature and see if you have similar spikes?  Also, I note that there is a Thunderrbolt "E" out there with a different connector layout (has a BNC connector for the antenna input instead of an F connector) and touts improved holdover times. On the off chance that anybody has one of those, do they also suffer these glitches?