[time-nuts] Thunderbolt temperature spikes

Mark Sims holrum at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 14 21:26:51 UTC 2008

I have both a red-box unit with the single input power supply (internally it has a AT&T DC-DC converter brick and lots of filtering stuff) and two of the three-supply units.  All of them show the same temperature glitches.  I have had one running off of a Tektronix PS-503A linear lab supply and one running off the TAPR supply.  I have run the red-box one off of batteries.  All show the glitches.  I'm fairly certain that it is not power related.  I also think the decay of the glitch is due to some kind of software filtering of the A/D readings.

Also does anybody out there have a ThunderBolt-E?  I have added "E-bolt" support to my programs that I would like somebody to test.  The major E-bolt difference seems to be a 12 channel receiver .vs. the 8 channel one in the older ThunderBolts.  Also,  the E-bolt does not supply per-satellite clock bias error estimates and has some different version and receiver health status messages.