[time-nuts] Frequency divider design critique request

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Tue Jul 15 18:44:11 UTC 2008

Right; when the thumbswitches are toggled, the RC integrators will slow down
the edges into pins 9-11.  Sometimes CMOS parts will latch up or otherwise
fail to reliably with slow edges -- it probably comes down to the
"complementary" thing, where both halves of a totem pole can turn on
erratically during a slow transition.

I have seen large capacitors used on TTL MUXes for EMI suppression, but
never on CMOS.  I have a feeling 100 pF would be safer and still adequate.
Probably no big deal, but if you want to be anal about it, it could pay to
check the edge-time specs for the HC family.

-- john, KE5FX