[time-nuts] Thunderbolt monitor

Didier Juges didier at cox.net
Thu Jul 17 04:54:15 UTC 2008

My preference is usually to have a voltage regulator on the board where the
"expensive" electronics is, simply because I use adjustable bench supplies
for testing and I also own and use a large number of 9 to 12V wall warts
such that I have blown great many parts by inadvertently putting 9 or 12V
into a 5V gizmo. Also, most of my processor boards take advantage of the
built-in A/D converter, and a local stable 5V source is a good design
practice that avoids a number of problems down the road. So it's been my
practice to put a 5V regulator, needed or not :-) Now, the Silabs chips run
off 3V nominal and have their own, relatively stable 2.5V reference, so that
problem also mostly goes away.

In this case, since the group buy Thunderbolt comes with a multi-output
supply which includes 5V, we could use that directly I guess. It just had
not occurred to me to do that... My original "red box" Thunderbolt runs off
28V, so that one will definitely need its own switching regulator.

Regarding the RS-232, the monitor only needs to convert the RS-232 to 0-3V
logic, so 12V is not needed there either.

In any event, a separate supply would be a waste and is not necessary.

Didier KO4BB