[time-nuts] 5061A and Zeeman freq question

wje wje at quackers.net
Sat Jul 19 13:48:34 UTC 2008

My understanding is that the precise cesium hyperfine transition energy,
and hence microwave frequency, is dependent upon the applied C-field,
and the field setting to select a particular transition is the same for
all clocks (which is why these are primary standards). The C-field is
set by applying an LF signal at the correct frequency to cause Zeeman
splitting, and optimizing the C-field to peak the splitting.

So, shouldn't the Zeeman frequency always be 42.82 Khz, which is what
I've seen in every reference? But, my 5061A with a high-performance tube
has a sticker that says 'Zeeman freq 53.53 Khz'. I can indeed get Zeeman
splitting at that frequency with a C-field setting of 3.45, but is this
correct? If so, why? (BTW - I don't seem to be able to get any splitting
at 42.82 Khz)

Confused,
Bill

--