[time-nuts] Double ovened 10811-60158 on ebay

Rick Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Sun Jul 20 03:35:38 UTC 2008

Mike S wrote:
> At 05:33 PM 7/19/2008, wje wrote...
>>  Another thing, the 10811B in mine doesn't have a removable endplate,
>>    it's soldered. This makes it a lot more difficult to adjust or
>> repair.
>>    Still, I think it's a fine buy for the cost.
>
> Well, yea. Maybe Rick Karlquist will pipe in, but I believe that (other
> than temperature, which is obviously well controlled by a double oven),
> pressure/humidity are the biggest instability factors. Soldering the
> case closed mitigates that.

Right.  Without hermetic sealing, the double oven would be negated
by humidity effects.  I tried to discover exactly what component
was the major humidity "sensor" in the 10811, but was never able
to narrow it down to anything specific.  The crystal is not the
humidity sensor because it is hermetic in its own package, even in
the non-hermetic 10811.

Rick Karlquist N6RK