[time-nuts] Double ovened 10811-60158 on ebay

Rick Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Sun Jul 20 14:29:07 UTC 2008

Neville Michie wrote:
> Hi,
> surely an oven that controls to 1*C limits the inner xtal oven from
> the outside 0 - 50*C,
> so with a finite gain on the inner oven the oven the XTAL is
> controlled 50 times as well?
> Thats why they use double ovens.
>
> cheers, Neville Michie

How do you know that the double oven controls to 1 degree?
Where is this 1 degree measured?  I'm sure it holds the thermistor
to 1 degree, but the 10811 is a large object that might have
its own temperature gradients.  How do you know that the outer oven does
not produce gradients that reduce the gain of the inner oven?
How much does the 10811 internal oven current vary vs ambient?

Rick Karlquist N6RK