[time-nuts] Thunderbolt PSU

David Ackrill dave.g0dja at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Jul 22 14:15:56 UTC 2008

Mike S wrote:

> Most switching supplies require a minimum load to operate correctly. If
> the output is just open, and you don't see any voltage, it doesn't
> necessarily indicate a problem.

No, the unit is dead...

I managed to get another one locally, a place called JPG in Chesterfield.

Almost identical unit, but this one has a 5 way DIN plug on it and the
pin outs for the voltages marked on the case.

Checking the new one on no load I get volts, and almost the correct
level, but as you say the no load voltage is often a bit different.

Just to check, I opened the supplied unit and checked inside.  as I
suspected there's a soldered in fuse in line with the 3 pin input
socket.  Volts are OK on one side, and nothing on the other.  A check
with a continuity checker also confirms that the internal fues, A 2.5A
type, is open circuit.

 From the look of the insides, something was short circuit as there's
discolouration round a small, vertically mounted, PCB inside.

Dave Ackrill