[time-nuts] 32768Hz from 10MHz

Rick Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Wed Jul 23 19:08:37 UTC 2008

These limitations only apply because you have chosen an
accumulator size that is a binary power (ie 2^N).  If
the accumulator is modulo 78,125 (ie 5^7), and you load
the value 256 (ie 2^8) every 100 nsec, the accumulator will overflow
at the rate of 32768 Hz, on the average.  And it will be
exact, on the average.  There is an easy way to implement this.
Make the accumulator, say, 131,072 (ie 2^17).  Each time it
overflows, add an extra 52,947 to it (ie 131,072 - 78125).
This will make it look like it has the size of 78,125.  I'm
sure you can figure this out.  You can still use a binary word
size for the DAC data.

Rick Karlquist N6RK