[time-nuts] Anti-Static conductive foam warning

Greg Burnett gbusg at comcast.net
Thu Jul 24 18:57:32 UTC 2008

Hi Daun & Nigel,

I've experienced the same problem, for example with sliding loads, cal kits
and other accessories. The trick is to remove all the foam *before* the
damage is done. Once the deteriorating foam turns to "sticky crumble" and
reacts with the precision plated metal surfaces in these kits, the surfaces
can actually become physically pitted and discolored. I could kick myself
for not staying on top of this and removing the foam sooner in some
instances.

Next question: Are the manufacturers listening? Or are they still using the
same foam (that will de-compose in 15 or 20 years).

Greg

Daun wrote:
--clip--
I'm wondering if anyone else who's seen this problem has some advice on a
good way to restore the items.
--clip--