[time-nuts] How to get 32.768KHz from 10MHz.

Neville Michie namichie at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 00:04:46 UTC 2008

FYI,
Quartz analogue clocks almost universally use a bipolar motor, a two
pole
magnetic circuit with the minimum reluctance axis displaced from the
direction
of the energised field.
When activated the 2 pole magnetic rotor aligns with the magnetic
field, when the field collapses,
the magnetic rotor moves a little towards the position of greater
self attraction, so that it is
set up for a move in the right direction when the reverse field is
applied.
To drive these motors as clock displays you either replicate the
alternate 1.5 volt 20mS pulses, or connect a capacitor,
about 10 - 100 mfd in series and drive them with a 0.5 hertz square
wave of about 1.5 volt amplitude.
The drive voltage and pulse duration should be adjusted for each type
of motor, or else
the voltage and capacitor size so that reliable stepping occurs.
Overdrive can stop some types as the rotor "poles".
just in case you were interested,
cheers, Neville Michie