[time-nuts] What is a Time-Nut grade Zero Crossing Circuit?

Rick Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Thu Jul 31 20:47:33 UTC 2008

Comparators have very wideband, high gain inputs with typically
high noise figures.  The effective input noise is determined by
the noise figure and the comparator bandwidth and the fact
the the comparator only utilizes a few mV of the input signal.  If you are
trying to square up a 10 MHz signal, and noise from DC-1000 MHz
is affecting the comparator switching time, you have unnecessarily
added a bunch of noise above 10 MHz.  You can't filter this noise
back out after the comparator output.  That's the theory of it.

1/f noise is not the issue.  CMOS gates have lower input noise
IN RELATION TO THE SIGNAL LEVEL involved.  Comparators only use
a few mV of your signal.  That's why the high gain is bad.

The ideal circuit is a bandpass linear amplifier that makes a
large filtered 10 MHz sine wave, which is then passively clipped with
diodes at the logic levels you need.  This is based on the paradigm
described by John Dick (of JPL) in his 1990 PTTI paper on zero
crossing detectors (someone posted that paper I think; anyone know
the URL?).  It is clear IMHO that a comparator is just about exactly
the opposite of what Dr. Dick prescribed.

In any event, if you actually test real comparators, you will
find them to be universally lousy.  I will be happy to be proven
wrong if someone is aware of a good comparator.  It's just that
I have never met I comparator I liked :-)

Rick Karlquist N6RK