[time-nuts] quick and very dirty phase comparator

Ulrich Bangert df6jb at ulrich-bangert.de
Wed Jun 4 07:00:04 UTC 2008

Bruce,

thank you for correcting me. Here I have clearly fooled myself. However
your posting originated some new ideas: With the GCD becoming THAT low
an analogue phase lock to a 10 MHz reference will not be easy. But if we
stop to think about phase locked VCXOs we need not bother anymore about
odd exotic xtal frequencies at all that may generate us a GCD of 10.
Instead we are free to choose for example 10000010 Hz for the
controller's frequency. Which brings us back to a construction of a good
offset generator.

Until now I have believed that a good (low phase noise, high stability)
offset generator would involve

a) a number of single sideband mixers (as described in
www.horology.jpl.nasa.gov/papers/fssa.pdf)

or

b) the well known offset synthesizer circuitry as described by Rick
Karlquist.

I am sure that both ideas work excellent, although I am unsure whether
a) can generate an 10 Hz offset. However, both methods involve circuitry
that I would not call exactly "quick and dirty" and their use would
overstress the try to make something really simple. On a new internet
search for "offset generator" I came over this one:

www.diva-portal.org/diva/getDocument?urn_nbn_se_liu_diva-1838-1__fulltex
t.pdf

What do you think about that topology? Let the "IF in" be the needed
offset and the "offset OSC" be our 10 MHz reference. Would that not make
an really easy way to generate an precise offset with the wanted
features?

Best regards
Ulrich Bangert