[time-nuts] Finally acquired a 5370B

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Thu Jun 12 02:00:58 UTC 2008

There's a lot about 5370s in the archive.  Common problems seem to be
intermittent sockets for the ROM chips, and (in my own experience) dirty
polarity/impedance/attenuator switches.  The manual has a good self-check
procedure for the internal circuitry, but you need to be careful to ensure
that the front-panel switches do what they're supposed to do without
degrading the measurements you're trying to make.

Also make sure the trigger level-control DACs are aligned properly.  5370s
purchased in the surplus market are rarely spot-on in this regard.  It's
important if you are going to be making two-channel measurements, because
the relative-phase accuracy is only as good as the trigger stability and
accuracy.

The voltage limits in the manual may be different from what your particular
counter uses (e.g., 2.56V in the manual versus 2.048V or 1.920V in real
life) but it should be possible to adjust them symmetrically, and establish
stable zero levels with the controls in their PRESET positions.   (At least
one edition of the manual has a typo in the calibration instructions for
that section.)

They're nice counters, and that does sound like a great price!

-- john, KE5FX